Connecting Students with Materials Research
Magnetic Properties of a Paper Clip –
Vibrating Sample Magnetometer (VSM) Option
The objective of this educational module is to introduce the basic measurement capabilities of the VersaLab Vibrating Sample Magnetometer (VSM) Option. A simple isothermal magnetization measurement on a piece of a paper clip will be performed.
Several items are needed for this experiment, which include:
- Paper clips
- Wire cutters
- Non-magnetic adhesive, in this case zircar cement (see section 3.3 of the VSM user’s manual)
- The palladium calibration standard that comes with the VSM kit
- A brass sample holder for mounting the sample
- A scale to measure the mass of your sample
- A VSM sample mounting station
There are currently no comments.
No one has duplicated this experiment yet.